Welcome
to the southern continent

D'Sanctine Weyr takes place in 10th Pass Pern. AIVAS was never discovered, and Thread still falls on the planet. Overpopulating causes stress in the Weyrs, which leads to the foundation of a new southern Weyr, dubbed D'Sanctine. A Hold is founded to support the Weyr, titled Sanctis Hold. Old riders and prospective candidates flock to the new Weyr for a chance at an easier, less crowded life, but the hatching of dragons of strange colors has left the more conservative holds and Weyrs in the north uneasy. The political atmosphere is tense as a drawn bowstring-- it is only a matter of time before the arrow is loosed.

Current Events
what's happening!

Summer - P10 T16

5/4/17 - Mornings have been foggy thanks to warm days and cool evenings. There was recently a routine Threadfall that only resulted in a few injuries and no fatalities. The weyrfolk are gathering and brewing up some vats of numbweed to resupply, so a section of the Weyr is going to be awfully stinky for a few days.

4/1/17 - Fall has arrived, and with it pleasant breezes and the occasional storm. It's by no means cold, but it isn't as impossibly hot and humid as summer gets.
Current Staff
Who's Who in D'Sanctine Weyr
Senior Weyrwoman
Lauralyn of Gold Sorreath

Junior Weyrwomen
Daetha of Gold Saraiath

Weyrleader
-TBA-

Junior Weyrleaders
Fen'ris of Bronze Tyrth
S'era of Bronze Rhuinath

Weyrlingmasters
C'ven of Blue Jessath
A're of Green Muraath

Assistant Weyrlingmasters
J'lor of Brown Sabath
Angora of Blue Ferith
-OPEN-

Candidatemaster
M'ari of Green Valenth

Assistant Candidatemaster
Cryssa of Blue Cindath

Wherlingmaster
Sennet of Blue Sennesk

Assistant Wherlingmasters
Kalen of Gold Kalesk
Ceanna of Green Ceannsk

Headwoman
Tanna

Assistant Headwoman
-OPEN-
Important Threads
Check These Out!
OOC Staff
our fearless leaders
admins
YERA
SEIRYE
SLINKYSLOTH

mods
MAZAARI
KILNARAK
IOT
Chatbox
Time to say hi!
Linkage
the coolest sites on the net
affiliates
RP Lovers A Gift of Dragons Canyon River Weyr Mithra Weyr

link us

Credits
you guys rock!
Skin and sidebar Manda of RPG-U. Pern and its dragons belong to the late Anne McCaffrey and her family. The characters written here belong to those who created them. Sprites and all pieces of art belong to those who created them; there is a thread for credits and links in the information section of the board.

If you would like to donate to help with the board's premium service and the chatbox, click here!

Add Reply

RS: What's That Smell? (M7)
C'ven
 Posted: Apr 17 2017, 08:57 PM

Weyrlingmaster
Group: Character

The day's lesson was one of C'ven's favorites to give, a joy as someone observing rather than participating. A lot of it required observation rather than interference: this lesson was something many of the Weyrlings needed to feel out on their own, because C'ven could not tell them how to do it. Jessath could, and was well prepared to give a demonstration, but his rider could not exactly breathe fire. And breathe fire, the Weyrlings would! There came a time in every Weyrling's training when they had to give breath to their first flame, and this was that day.

Every bit of the experience, from first taste of stone to the moment they grasped how to control their flame, was a delight for C'ven to see. Of course, with the oddities popping up, some had actually flamed before, but...few. So, so few. C'ven hoped that they would not interfere with the lesson, preach like they had the experience of a fully grown dragon. There was a difference between an innate ability to flame and flame urged by stone. He wondered what stone would do for those who flamed naturally.

When he was satisfied, C'ven motioned to Jessath, who reached out and called the Weyrlings in quietly. The Weyrlingmaster had set up a series of dummies, made from the barest of supplies: a thin post of wood, painted with a flame-resistant lacquer, covered with straw and tied off in a sack. It was more or less a human dummy for the dragons to aim at, and while they looked crude, they served their purpose. There was one for each dragon, spaced appropriately.

He walked up and down the line, then stopped by Jessath once the class was gathered. A pile of firestone rest on the ground between the blue's front paws, and anyone who bothered to look could tell it was the highest quality the Weyrlingmaster could pick out. He wanted their first experience to be as pleasant as possible, which was a challenge anyway, based on what his own dragon had said of the taste.

He smiled at the class, picking up a few of the stones. "Today," he called so they could all hear him, as he started tossing each rider a stone, "we are breathing fire. Well, our dragons are. Do not feed them these yet, because Jessath will be demonstrating for you how it is done." He finished passing out the stones, then picked up one of his own, the pile diminished by half. There was enough for each dragon to have one more.

Jessath stood and followed C'ven, the pair moving to stand in front of the middle of the class, so everyone could see. Rider turned to dragon, who wrinkled his nose but lowered his head anyway. C'ven rubbed his snout, then looked at the Weyrlings. "We all know our dragons have some very sharp teeth. What some of you may not realize, however, is that their back teeth are flat for crushing, like ours." Jessath opened his mouth, and C'ven reached in to place the stone between said teeth. Jessath held it carefully, without breaking it.

"For today, I want you to place the stone in your dragon's mouth as I have. During a Threadfall, you may only have time to toss the stone for your dragon to catch, but we have time to practice that. I think I will let Jessath explain the rest?" He smiled, patting the blue's snout gently.

Jessath shifted, pressing down on the stone as he spoke, chewing it into more or less pulp. It was loud, it smelled weird, and it looked like it tasted bad, his tongue carefully held out of the way and lips curled. When chewing stone, you must be careful. You cannot bite your own tongue, because it will hurt. You must chew until it is of this consistency, and he paused, opening his mouth wider so the class could see the sludge. You may then swallow. Your body will know where it needs to go.

The blue closed his mouth and swallowed, tongue working to clear the paste from his teeth. He burped, C'ven's expression going slack when the foul air washed over him. Jessath did not seem in the least apologetic, sitting up suddenly and looking vaguely uncomfortable. It is hard to explain the way the stone feels in your stomach. It is like something needs to be released, and you have no choice but to release it, but when and how is entirely up to you. If you do not flame sooner or later, you will become quite uncomfortable. The worst is the taste.

C'ven shook his head, moving to the side so that Jessath could safely do what needed to be done. Rather than aim for the targets he tilted his head back, mouth opening just a second before a great burst of flame erupted from him, licking at the sky. C'ven grimaced, mostly at the smell. Firestone stank.

When Jessath was done shooting off a few more examples of a good flame, he licked his lips and moved to stand behind the Weyrlings. There is only so much you can learn from watching me. Now, try it for yourselves.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Weyrlingmaster Civen of Blue Jessath
•·.·´¯`·.·• Character Tracker Thread •·.·´¯`·.·•
Played by Seirye
PM
^
A'nia
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 12:31 PM

Greenrider

The now dantiy looking green sat by her riders side, gone was the clumsy stance she once held, though her wings were still big on her she sat up tall and soaked in all the information C'ven and Jessath gave them. She took a quick sniff at the firestone A'nia was givien. It smelt horrible and from Jessaths reaction it tasted the same

A'nia turned the rock around in her hands. It was large and heavy but still light enpigh to hold and throw. She watched closly as C'ven places the Stone in Jessaths mouth. It seemed that was all they were to do the dragons had to do the rest.

They moved over to one of the dummies when C'ven let them go. She stood waiting for Nihaths list of questions, they stood in silence for a moment Nihath laying down so her mouth was closer to A'nia.

"No Questions this time my dear?" Nihath adopted a confused look

"For once no, I think the subject was easily enough explained so I have not a single question." The green opened her mouth and let A'nia place the Firestone in the back. Curiously she licked the side of the stone. It tasted awful!

"And to think I wanted to chew it not long ago." she said absently. Crushing her teeth together she chewed the stong slowly and swallowed the paste swipping her tounge around to catch any that still lingered in her mouth. It felt weird to have it sit somewhere other than her stomach.

"Are you alright Nihath?" Nihath nooded slowly as she turned to the dummy. Feeling the pressure build she opened her mouth.

At first there was nothing, think she might have done something wrong Nihath went to close her mouth. Suddenly she felt something in her throat and upon opening it agian a long thin burst of flame lit up the dummy and post. When the flame stopped the post still stood but the dummy was on fire on the ground. Nihath sat on her back legs and searched the sky for a minute. The she let out more flame until all the gas in her second stomack was gone.

"That was fun, shall we try agian A'nia dear?" A'nia went to get more stone as Nihath put the fire out with some of the sand around it.

--------------------
A'nia of green Nihath
wears a pretty necklace
PMEmail
^
T'ik
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 10:45 PM

Weyrling

At first, Araath refused to eat the stone.

T'ik stared at her, a frown on his face as he held the stone out to his dragon. He knew it was some of the high quality stuff. They'd had their lesson on sorting firestone, and you could tell it was the best C'ven could find, and that was a good thing too. It was best to introduce the dragons to good pieces, so that they wouldn't shy away from it as much when they got the bad. But some dragons just did not want to try the good, either.

Araath looked distressed, head down and shoulders hunched. Must I? Why can't you just use a flamethrower? We could be like mother and her rider, then. It would be much easier. You would not have to throw stones at me, and I would not have to taste it. Jessath makes it look so unpleasant. She was not normally one to argue or whine, and it almost had T'ik concerned for her.

Still, their lesson was to have her eat it and try flaming. He had a small suspicion that Araath did not want to chew because she hoped to one day clutch, but he pushed that to the back of his mind, not ready to face what it might mean for his precious (not so) little dragon. "Please, Ara? Let's just try this one and see how it goes? You know we have to. This is what you were made for."

I was made for a great many things, she said quietly, tail curling around her feet as she stared at him. But you are leaving me no choice, are you? Before he could respond she opened her mouth and took the stone between her front teeth, careful of his fingers, and moved it to the flat back teeth with her tongue.

He watched as she chewed it carefully, then closed her mouth and swallowed a few times, looking for all the world like it was stuck in her throat. She reassured him it was not, then sat up and pulled her head back, uncomfortable. It is the oddest sensation... It is like it is in my stomach, but also not, and it almost feels like there is pressure. Oh, I think something is happening...

She stood and backed away, then turned towards one of the dummies just in case. She then opened her mouth uncertainly, recoiled a little, and then--burped. T'ik burst into laughter so hard he almost knocked himself over, because even if he looked like he was growing up, he was absolutely still a kid at heart!

Araath didn't find it as funny, though she took joy in his joy, and turned to look at him briefly. Excuse me! I was not expecting that! I do not understand how to turn it into flames. Maybe this means I have no choice but to be-- She interrupted herself with another burp, and this time when she turned back to the dummy, it was with determination. Oh, this really must stop!

Before T'ik could even wipe the tears of mirth from his face, Araath extended her neck, opened her maw, and let a flood of fire loose, messily aimed but hot as any fire T'ik had been near. He stared at her as she licked her lips, then cheered loudly, proud of her success. Little time passed before she loosed the next bout, and then a third, working her mouth and jaw to play with the way it shaped the stream and controlled the flow.

--------------------
user posted image
Weyrling T'ik of Green Araath
Played by Seirye
PM
^
Kaeli
 Posted: Apr 18 2017, 10:59 PM

Weyrling

Kaeli knew it would take little convincing for Kokoth to eat the rock she held, but she knew he needed to take his time, so she held it away from them and forced him to pay attention as Jessath demonstrated what needed to be done. It was particularly easy, because Kokoth was so interested in flaming that he was watching their teacher's dragon as if his life depended on it. Maybe it did, Kaeli wasn't sure. What if a dragon swallowed firestone and it went into their normal stomach?

When they were cleared to try it themselves, she turned to the blue with a frown, holding a finger up. His snout was already just inches away from her finger, mouth open slightly as if he had been aiming to try to sneak the stone out of her hand. How he thought he was going to pull that off she did not know, but it was almost cute that he had thought to try in the first place.

"Kokoth," she warned, holding the stone behind her back, "you need to listen to me. Okay? You need to do this exactly as Jessath showed you. Nothing different. You cannot just swallow this rock, and you have to make sure you chew it carefully and fully. Okay?"

Okay okay okay okay, the blue danced in place, sticking his tongue out towards her eagerly. He opened his mouth further so that she could reach the flat back teeth, lips pulled back in a draconic grin as he waited.

She stared at him a moment longer, then slowly reached in, putting the stone in place. He licked her arm, but to his credit, he did not immediately begin chewing. He waited for her to give him the okay, and then he slowly pressed down on the stone, making it crumble.

After he had turned it into a paste and swallowed, the blue sat up suddenly, eyes flashing excitedly. This is my new favorite food! Kaeli, did you hear the sound it made when I chewed it? I love it! It feels so nice to chew, it is so crunchy, more than bones! And I love bones! He licked his lips repeatedly, not in the least put off by the taste, until the pressure felt high enough that he stood up. Oh! I need to do this now!

He had only just turned to face one of the dummies when flame erupted from his mouth, spilling over the poor sack with little regard for control. When it was done the blue inhaled sharply, staring at the burning sack, the tip of his tail twitching. ...He is dead! I have won! Oh, Kaeli, I won!

"You're not done yet," she laughed, patting his foreleg gently even as his stomach rumbled.

--------------------
user posted image
Weyrling Kaeli of Blue Kokoth
Played by Seirye
PM
^
T'ryn
 Posted: Apr 22 2017, 11:33 AM

Candidate

T'ryn had been nervous about this lesson. He and Oryth had discovered the bronze's ability to flame without stone early on. It seemed that there were a few from Sorreath's clutch that could do odd things, and Oryth was certainly no exception to that. The two quietly listened as C'ven spoke and then watched intently at Jessath's demonstration.

T'ryn allowed the others to begin going for the firestone before him, he was unsure of what would happen if he fed some to Oryth. Would the fire he could already produce cause some sort of reaction? Would Oryth be safe? Would everyone else be safe? Instead he approached C'ven as the others began their practicing.

I'm sure it will be fine, but it is a good idea to ask. The bronze commented.

"Uh, C'ven? Can I ask you a question?" T'ryn asked nervously. Oryth remained stationary in front of their assigned dummy, exuding calmness and confidence to T'ryn through their mental link.

--------------------
Weyrling T'ryn of Bronze Oryth
Pyrokinesis, Total Recall
Played by Jalor

Green Firelizard - Zeline
PM
^
C'ven
 Posted: Apr 22 2017, 11:44 PM

Weyrlingmaster

C'ven turned when he heard his name, half expecting some kind of burned, charred mass of Weyrling to be calling for him. But no, that would involve a lot more pained shrieking, and this was more inquisitive, which was a relief. He let out a silent sigh of relief before moving closer to T'ryn and his bronze, to better hear them over the sound of dragons belching and blowing flame.

"What can I do for you, T'ryn?" He smiled at the Weyrling, then up at Orth, waving briefly in greeting. He was trying not to assume it had anything to do with Oryth already knowing how to flame. It was the logical conclusion, of course, and there was little the Weyrlings got away with that C'ven didn't know. He had eyes everywhere, in the form of Jessath and his raptors and firelizards, and besides. How would he not know about one of the dragons flaming without stone?

But of course, maybe it was just an assumption. It could be something completely unrelated. Maybe Oryth had a stone lodged in his paw, or T'ryn was afraid of fire, or he thought Oryth couldn't aim. There were a good number of reasons T'ryn might need his attention.

--------------------
user posted imageuser posted imageuser posted image
Weyrlingmaster Civen of Blue Jessath
Played by Seirye
PM
^
T'ryn
 Posted: Apr 28 2017, 07:00 PM

Candidate

"Well...see, Oryth can already flame." T'ryn paused waiting to see how C'ven would take the news, sensing nothing specific he continued. "...I wasn't sure if it was safe for him to chew firestone as well."

T'ryn paused, glanced back to Oryth who was patiently waiting, seemingly not too concerned of the outcome one way or the other. He wondered at what made the Bronze so unperturbed.

--------------------
Weyrling T'ryn of Bronze Oryth
Pyrokinesis, Total Recall
Played by Jalor

Green Firelizard - Zeline
PM
^
0 User(s) are reading this topic (0 Guests and 0 Anonymous Users)
0 Members:

Topic Options
Add Reply

2.99 Cent Blues skinned by Manda/Ariesness of RPG-Directory.